Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fuel

I have a confession. And I know it's probably a terrible thing, but...I have this horrible habit of waiting as long as possible before refilling my tank of gas in my car. It's kind of like a weird game of chicken, where I see just how long I can drive with the gas light on before I break down and get more gas. My dad says it's really bad for my car and stupid, considering I could get caught in traffic and run out. And he's right. It is.

I was thinking a lot about this tonight. And you're probably seriously reconsidering your decision to read this blog right now, but I promise I'm going somewhere with this. As christians, we have this habit of doing that same thing to our relationship with God. We see how long we can go on a spiritual high before we "fill up" again. And that's wrong. Our relationship with God needs to be something we are constantly and consistently pursuing. We don't have any idea of the things we might face on any given day. We don't know the people God has placed in our paths to talk to on any given day. So it's better to be prepared that to come up short. We don't need to wait until we need to hear something from God before we seek Him. We should already be doing that, seeking Him everyday and asking the Holy Spirit to invade us.

All this has been brewing in my mind because lately I've really felt convicted in my own life. Seek God first. Because let's be honest, if you feel far from God, it's your own fault. God doesn't leave us, we wander off. It's a constant process. Seek God; find Him. It's not so much that we're asking the Holy Spirit to be present in our lives. Because as christians, the Holy Spirit dwells within us. Our prayer should be that we will recognize it and respond to it.

There is a phrase that I really hate. And that is "spiritually mature". There is never a time where after reaching a certain level of righteousness, a man shows up at your door with an award stating you've reached full spiritual maturity and then confetti cannons go off. That's because maturation is continuous. We work for it, but it's not something we can actually achieve here on earth. Although I do know there are some people father along in their maturation than others, we all have things we need to work on, learn. Maybe it's not so much a matter of where you are in your growth, but the fact that you are still growing and not becoming stagnant.

All this just to say, pursue God everyday. Don't wait until you have a need or the low fuel light comes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment